HammarBear - Gardening update 4/20/2020

As my gardening adventure continues, I decided I needed a way to collect rainwater that is easier than running out every 30 minutes to pour out a 5-gallon bucket. So, I checked with my friends and found one who had an empty one at his shop I could have, along with a few pallets. So, I went down and grabbed them this morning. I had to cut the top off of it so I could clean it out. It had wax-based paint stripper in it, so a good degreaser got it all cleaned up. Then I washed it out again with dawn dish soap.

.

The next step was to cut a hole in the side to allow the bulkhead fitting I bought at my local ACE hardware to pass through. I got a hole saw as well, but none of our drills here, apart from the small benchtop drill press, had a chuck big enough to hold the hole saw, so I had to use a step drill and cut it out that way. It worked, though the hole isn't exactly perfect. Oh well...there's a seal on the bulkhead, so we should be alright.

.

Thankfully I have long arms because it was quite a reach to put this through, all the way in the bottom. But, it's in, it's tight. On to the next step.

.

The second to last step was to add the spigot. I got this one at Ace as well today. It screws right into the ID of the bulkhead! How convenient. After I got it in, and clocked to the right position, I filled the barrel with water just above the bulkhead and looked for leaks. I didn't see any, so I tried the valve. And it totally worked. Not that I expected otherwise.

Next, I've got to build the platform for it and modify the downspout to go into the barrel. But that's going to have to be another day.

-Phil

Comments

Popular Posts